A light side salad, very commonly found on the side with many dishes in German restaurants.
Preparation time: 15 minutes (3 – 4 hours for chilling)
- 2 bunches red beets OR 2 cans of beets, sliced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons onions, minced
- 5 tablespoons canola oil
If using fresh beets start with Step 1 (for canned, skip to Step 3):
- Wash beets, trim off greens, place in medium saucepan, and cook, without peeling, in salted water to cover, until beets are tender.
- Peel and slice.
- Prepare marinade dressing by combining remaining ingredients.
- Pour over beets and refrigerate for several hours.
- Stir beets occasionally.
- If room temperature is preferred, simply remove 20 minutes before serving.
Makes 6 Servings
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 142||Cal. from Fat 107|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 12.1g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 0.9g||4%|
|Monounsat. Fat 7.6g|
|Polyunsat. Fat 3.4g|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 8.6g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.9g||8%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs.
The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.
Glad you could use your blog as an excuse to conduct some culinary research! They look delicious.I have a cooking recipe site as well and I
Pretty great taste. I didn’t have any horseradish left, so I had to substitute wasabi paste, which worked out as a good 1:1 sub in ratio. Would definitely make this one again, and again.
Thank you for this recipe! Was a hit at my farm-to-table potluck.