Very easy, nice cake recipe to have with coffee or tea. This is best served warm. Simply double to make a larger batch.
Preparation Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 oz sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 pack dry yeast
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 oz butter,unsalted
- 1 egg
- 4 oz butter,unsalted
- 1 2/3 oz sugar
- Combine flour, sugar and pinch of salt. Create a small recess in the flour.
- Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm milk, pour in the recess, sprinkle with flour and cover. Let it rise for 15 min.
- Melt 1 oz of butter, let cool mix together with the egg and add to the dough.
- Knead well until dough is smooth and comes of the sides of the bowl easily.
- Cover the dough ball and let rise for another 30 minutes.
- Knead again and roll out an oblong shape on a lightly floured surface. Fold in the edges and seal with a fork.
- Melt 2/3 oz of butter and brush the dough. With your fingers make little dips into the dough and fill the dips with small pats of butter.
- Sprinkle with sugar. Put the butter cake on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Bake for 20-25 minutes on the middle rung at 390 F until golden brown.
Makes 6 Servings
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 500||Cal. from Fat 178|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 20.3g||31%|
|Saturated Fat 12.3g||62%|
|Monounsat. Fat 5.1g|
|Polyunsat. Fat 1.3g|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 70g||23%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs.
The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.
This recipe is the best! I have tried making it last night and it was definitely worth the effort. The ingredients are very easy to find and making it was so quick. It really went well with a hot cup of coffee.