These are yummy! I have had a lot of people ask for recipes for these, and here it is finally! Enjoy!
Preparation Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes.
- 8-10 apples
- 3 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- pinch salt
- 2 Tbsp. Crisco
- 1 egg
- 2/3-cup milk
- Cinnamon & sugar
- Melted butter
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cups sugar
- Peel and thinly slice apples. Set aside. (A mix of apples will give a nice, complex flavor, but you could use all one type. Be sure to use apples that are suitable for baking.)
- Mix flour, sugar, and salt. Cut Crisco into mixture. Add beaten egg and mix.
- Add milk and make the dough into a ball. Cut into 8 pieces and roll each piece out to the size of a dinner plate.
- Spread melted butter on each piece. Place a heaping handful of apples on the dough pieces. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
- Roll up the dough pieces like a burrito and place in a 9X13 cake pan. Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top of all the dough rolls.
- In a separate bowl, beat 3 eggs, 2 cups milk, & ½ cup of sugar. Pour over rolls making sure to wet them all.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350° or until the top is browned & firm. Serve with milk poured over it, like cereal. Alternatively, you could serve with a nice size helping of homemade whipped cream.
Optional: You can make the recipe the night before, refrigerate it, and bake it in the morning for a great breakfast treat.
I am looking for an Apfel Maultaschen recipe that uses a hot dough and an egg mixture over the top before it is baked. It is a dish my grandmother used to make, however, we do not have the recipe. Thank you.
Kat was with only apple or potato in? American living in Germany…