Rotkohl is a staple in Germany. While there are good German red cabbage products at places like ShopRite, making it from scratch can be very satisfying. Here is a great recipe that will remind you of Oma’s home cooking.
Preparation Time: 1 hour 30 minute.
- 1 medium head red cabbage, cored and sliced
- 2 large tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 2 whole allspice
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, toss cabbage, apples and onion. Add water, vinegar, sugar, butter and salt. Place the peppercorns, allspice, cloves and bay leaf on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and stir with kitchen string to form a bag. Add to Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours.
- Discard spice bag. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir in cabbage mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.