German restaurants typically serve various salads with a meal. It could be as simple as Weisskraut and Mohrrüben, but there is always some colorful arrangement of vegetables to accompany the dish. One such salad is cucumber salad. This is a nice salad anytime of year, but would be especially nice on a warm, Spring day.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes.
Portions: 3 – 4.
- 2 large salad cucumbers (English cucumbers would work nicely)
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 2 tbs. white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbs. sugar
- salt, to taste
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- fresh parsley
- fresh dill
- Peel and thinly slice cucumber. Salt slices lightly and let stand for an hour.
- Mix finely diced onion, sugar, vinegar, seasonings and all herbs (except parsley) together in a separate bowl. Add mixture into the cucumbers and mix well, covering all cucumber slices.
- Chill for at least a half hour, but no more than an hour. Drain off excess liquid.
- Toss with cream, top with chopped parsley, and serve.