I’ve seen some people inquire as to what the gelatin mixture is that is placed over fruit on German tortes. It really isn’t that mysterious, and there are two ways you can achieve this at home.
Your first option is to make it from scratch. The most difficult part is to continually mix and not overheat the mixture. Here is the recipe.
Fruit Torte Jelly/Gelatin
- 1/2 tsp. gelatin (plain, unflavored gelatin – can be found in the baking aisle of any grocer)
- 1 cup water OR apple juice (be aware this will add some extra flavor)
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- Optional: 1 tsp. red food coloring
- Soak gelatin in 2 tbsp. cold water for 10 minutes.
- Heat over low heat until it becomes liquid.
- Add 2 tbsp. sugar and the remainder of water and heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and cool until it is just pourable (20 – 30 minutes).
- Spoon over finished cake shell with fruit already arranged over the top.
- Allow whole cake to set for at least one hour before serving. For extended life, refrigerate to prevent fruit from molding.
Okay, so you say this sounds too tedious, and you want a quick and dirty solution? Try Tortenguss. You can purchase a dry mix, which still needs to be heated, but is a little less finicky. My personal favorite can be bought from German Deli: Dr. Oetker Tortenguss Klar (Clear Cake Glaze). It is sold in a 3-pack, and I will stock up on a few at a time.
See? Isn’t it great when one of life’s little mysteries can be solved so simply? 🙂
I tried this version for the top of my erdbeer torte…and I loved it! Thank you so much for answering the question with a real solution! I would suggest adding an addendum that states that it will be VERY liquidy for a while! At first I thought I did the recipe wrong. So I stuck it in the fridge…and well. I won’t put the details about what happened next on your page, but it was an adventure. All on my blog. 🙂
Also bei Mir hat as nicht Geklappt.war auch ewig lange guessing. Dann habe Ich tapioca staerke reingemischt ( staerke ), und dann Hatte Ich die konsistenz vom tortenguss…war dann aus verzweiflung…vielleicht wars zufall..hab mich aber gefreut..:-) 🙂 🙂