I am a huge fan of red cabbage. This is a great way to make it really special. This is best if prepared a day in advance.
Preparation Time: 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- 2 1/2 to 3-pound red cabbage
- 2 tbsp. butter, or minced bacon
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 2 tart apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 small yellow onions, diced
- 1/2 c. red wine vinegar (in a pinch, apple cider vinegar will also work)
- 2 c. broth (beef, vegetable, or chicken stock)
- 2 c. red wine
- 6 whole cloves (make a small cheesecloth bag containing the cloves, to be removed after cooking)
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- Thickener: 2 tbsp. butter and 2 tbsp. flour
Read more Apfel-Rotkohl – German Red Cabbage and Apple Recipe