This is a great comfort food for breakfast or dessert. You will find this on German menus quite often, and kids love it. There are many slight variations, but this recipe is a good start.
Preparation Time: 45 minutes.
- 1 cup short grain white rice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup cream
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix the rice, sugar and salt in a large saucepan. Stir in the cream and milk. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Reduce heat and simmer the rice for 30 minutes, or until soft and milk mixture becomes thick. Stir often.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Serve warm with cinnamon and sugar or fruit compote.