Anyone that has been to a German city, particularly Berlin, will know that you can’t walk a block without finding an Imbiss (food stand or cart) or pub, that serves Currywurst. It is the best fast food, that only requires a plastic toothpick to eat. And it is also super easy to make at home.
To make this authentic in appearance and taste, knockwurst is the best to use. However, I have made it with hot dogs to great effect. As a German vegetarian recipe option, why not try soy dogs? The typical side dish to serve this with is french fries, or Pommes. I make my own, but you could also buy bagged for an even quicker meal.
Preparation Time: 35 minutes.
- 1 package of knockwurst (5 links) OR 1 package of hot dogs
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 2 8-ounce cans of tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Place butter or margarine in medium saucepan and melt over medium heat.
- Slice links in rounds about 1/2 inch thick. Place rounds into pan and brown, stirring often.
- Stir in sauce. Add in all seasonings and mix well.
- Lower heat to medium-low, cover and allow to cook for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- Check flavor and add curry at your discretion. Lower temperature and simmer for 20 minutes more.
- Serve with french fries on the side, adding enough sauce to dip fries. You may also sprinkle some curry onto the wurst for garnish.