Another great comfort food, and very easy to make.
Preparation time: 2 hours
- 1 pound of dry split peas (1 bag)
- 4 fresh bay leaves, chopped
- 1 cup of carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 beef bouillon cubes OR 2 cans of beef or vegetable broth
- 1 cup hot dogs, sliced
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Rinse peas and place in large pot (dutch oven is best). If using broth, add 6 cups of HOT water into peas. If using bouillon, pour in 8 cups of HOT water and bouillon cubes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for about 40 minutes.
- Chop all vegetables. Place vegetables into peas and water after 40 minutes. Add in seasonings and sauce. Cook for 20 minutes at same heat. Be sure to stir regularly.
- Reduce to a simmer and check consistency. If desired, add hot water to thin. Place a lid on the pot and cook for 50 minutes more.
- Add hot dogs and cook another 10 minutes. Serve.
- Optional Note: You can make this in a slow cooker as well. Add all ingredients at once, and either cook on high for 4 hours, then reduce to low until you are ready to eat that night, or keep on low all day (7 or 8 hours). This is easy to make into a vegetarian pea soup. Use vegetable broth or bouillon, and omit hot dogs.