A light side salad, very commonly found on the side with many dishes in German restaurants.
Preparation time: 15 minutes (3 – 4 hours for chilling)
- 2 bunches red beets OR 2 cans of beets, sliced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons onions, minced
- 5 tablespoons canola oil
If using fresh beets start with Step 1 (for canned, skip to Step 3):
- Wash beets, trim off greens, place in medium saucepan, and cook, without peeling, in salted water to cover, until beets are tender.
- Peel and slice.
- Prepare marinade dressing by combining remaining ingredients.
- Pour over beets and refrigerate for several hours.
- Stir beets occasionally.
- If room temperature is preferred, simply remove 20 minutes before serving.
Makes 6 Servings
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 142||Cal. from Fat 107|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 12.1g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 0.9g||4%|
|Monounsat. Fat 7.6g|
|Polyunsat. Fat 3.4g|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 8.6g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.9g||8%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs.
The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.