A pork roast traditionally served with a mild sauce, red cabbage, and potato dumplings (Kartoffelknödel) in the South, or peas and boiled potatoes in the North-East.
Preparation Time: over 2.5 h.
- 2 – 3 pound pork loin roast
- 4 slices pork bacon
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup carrot slices
- 2 c. white wine (substitute water, beer or broth if desired)
- caraway seeds
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- olive, canola, or almond oil
- 1 apple (or 1/4 c. apple juice)
- 1 tbsp. sour cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place about 2 – 3 tbs. of selected oil into a frying pan and begin to heat. Slice one clove of garlic and place into oil. Saute slightly.
- Rub down loin with salt and pepper. When oil is hot, place into pan and lightly brown. Repeat on all sides.
- Slice onions into thin rings and line bottom of roasting pan with the onions, carrots, remaining garlic clove, and some apple chunks.
- Place browned meat onto vegetables, fatty side down. Sprinkle meat with caraway seeds, salt, and pepper. Lay the garlic from fry pan over the meat – do not add oil! Place bacon slices over top.
- Add in 1/2 c of liquid of your choice – white wine yields a very nice result. If adding juice instead of apples, add in now.
- Cover with lid and place in preheated oven.
- Cook for about 30 minutes, turn meat over. Baste with about a 1/2 cup more of fresh liquid, as well as pan liquid. Cook for another 15 minutes, add 1/2 c. more liquid, baste, and add in 1 vegetable bouillion cube. Cook until internal temperature is at least 160 degrees – about another 15 – 20 minutes.
- Remove meat to plate and keep warm. Strain juices into a pan and add more liquid if necessary.
- Place sauce pan on stove, at about medium high heat, and add in 2 tsp. cornstarch mixed with 1/4 c. of water. Boil, stirring constantly, until thickened. Reduce heat and add sour cream if desired. Mix through.
- Slice meat thinly, and drizzle some sauce over it. Serve.
Makes 4 Servings
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 603||Cal. from Fat 179|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 20g||31%|
|Saturated Fat 6.2g||31%|
|Monounsat. Fat 9.7g|
|Polyunsat. Fat 2.2g|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 18.3g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.1g||12%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs.
The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.