A nice, comfort meal that is fairly easy to make.
Preparation time: 1h 15min.
- 1 lb. chicken, boneless
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 small onion
- 4 tbs. margarine or butter (unsalted)
- 1 large can, button mushrooms
- 1 jar, white asparagus
- 4 tbs. flour
- 1/2 c. milk (whole)
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. spanish capers
- Boil chicken in a pot with just enough water to cover. Add the bouillon cube. Be sure to cover with a tight fitting lid.
- Once chicken is cooked through, remove chicken to a plate or bowl and allow to cool. When cool, chop into bite size chunks. Pour about 2 cups of the broth in a bowl or other container (remember, it’s hot!) and set aside. Dispose of the rest.
- Add margarine or butter to same pot and melt. Chop onions and place in the pot, sauteing until golden.
- Add flour to the pot and stir quickly. Allow to cook a bit to golden color, just about 2 minutes. Pour in the broth.
- Stir and allow to boil, stirring regularly as sauce thickens. Add seasonings (including capers) and stir.
- When thickened, add chopped chicken. Stir.
- Cut asparagus stalks in half. Add some of the packing water into your sauce for extra flavor. Place asparagus into pot. Then drain and add in mushrooms as well.
- Mix and turn heat down to low. Place a lid on the pot and simmer for 20 minutes. If sauce seems too thick, add some milk.
This dish can be served with rice or boiled potatoes to suit your taste.
Makes 4 Servings
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 241||Cal. from Fat 122|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 13.8g||21%|
|Saturated Fat 8.1g||41%|
|Monounsat. Fat 3.4g|
|Polyunsat. Fat 1g|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 13.2g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.6g||10%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs.
The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.